 CAD / Development / 8639
8638  |  8640
Subject:
directory controls for generated LPub files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 13:59:20 GMT

Hi All,
  I'm architecting the ability to have the files generated by LPub to be
placed in directories other than the directory that contains the DAT/LDR/MPD
file being processed.

  This feature is meshes with the bug that LPub's automatic use of lsynthcp
does not work for models that contain sub-models (duh!)

  Jennifer Clark created a very simple solution to this problem, which is to
synthesize all the files (model and sub-model) into a different directory so
that you needn't worry about a) replacing your original unsynthesized files
with their synthesized version (bad IMHO), and b) renaming all the files to
*new* synthesized names.

  This seems kind of related to directory controls for generated files.  So
here is the list of generated file types:

  1.  Files from MPD split out into individual files (so that it looks like
the non-MPD based models.
  2.  Synthesized versions (whether they need it or not) of the LDraw files
  3.  Step DAT files for each of the step/rotsteps of the LDR files in the model
  4.  POV files to be passed to POV-Ray
  5.  Construction Images
  6.  Part Images
  7.  Part List Images
  8.  BOMs
  9.  Web pages

For synthesis support, I have to have a seperate directory for the
synthesized results, so a sub-directory within the given model's directory
makes the most sense.

I already have a *special* place (directories) for Part Images (rendered
images of a given part for a given color, at specific resolution (high or
low) and black/wite vs. color.  These part image cache directories that were
global to all model image generation worked OK at the beginning, but things
have gotten a lot more complex.  There are so many parameters that can
affect a given part/color image that I'm sure the current mechanism will
fall apart very soon.

I'm thinking that the part image caches need to be specific to a
model/sub-model.  Jake wants different background colors for sub-model
levels (or for specific sub-models even), and I want the background colors
for the part list images to match.  I think that each model has its own
part-images cache (directory) that can contain sub-model caches
(directories) as needed.

I think that I'll create sub-directory controls for each of the processing
stages listed above.  You will be able to use absolute paths
(c:/tmp/allmylpubfiles), or relative paths.  In the case of synthesis, the
relative path *cannot* be the same directory that the original model lives in.
You can use all the same directory if you want, by pointing all the controls
to the same directory.  If you use the directory that the model resides in
as the working directory for part image caches, then you will get
sub-directories created there for each sub-model.

This might sound like overkill, but I think it will help with long term
growth issues.

Does this sound OK?  Feedback?

Kevin