 CAD / Development / 8499
Re: Backwards Compatibility (Was Calling all Meta-commands)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 18:13:57 GMT

"Travis Cobbs" <tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com> skrev i meddelandet

We already have a standard comment prefix: 0.  For better or for worse,
meta-commands are just comments that get interpreted to have meaning.

This is not at all uncommon in programming languages, take Pascal for
example (UCSD-Pascal, Delphi):

A comment can be

(* any characters except the End_Of_Comment --> *)

but the same syntax is used for compiler directives:

(*$D+*)
(*$ifdef DEBUG *)
(*$endif*)

I think it's unrealistic to expect users to remember to add a second • comment
prefix in addition to the 0.  Programs don't forget.  People do.

Very important point. People will always do wrong, if it is possible.

So, if just all program authors agree to name new meta commands with a
leading '$' we can have the same situation in LDRAW.

Meta-commands already in existence must of course still be supported, but
it's quite possible to accept both

0 FILE abc

and

0 $FILE abc

and optionally issue warnings for the first (old) kind. As the years go by,
the old syntax can be deprecated, and finally removed.

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery/index.htm