 CAD / Development / 8472
Re: Backwards Compatibility (Was Calling all Meta-commands)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 23:35:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin Clague writes:
I'd personally prefer something like ! instead of (META) or {META}, but that
is because I'm used to the concept in unix.

As I tried to indicate in one of my posts much earlier in this thread, I
realized after my original post that the presense of the {} would negate the
need for a {META} tag.  It would probably work just as well with ().  The
whole reason I suggested {META} in the first place was to prevent comments
from being misinterpreted as meta-commands.  The following examples should
be almost as effective:

0 (BFC) CW
0 (FILE) myfile.dat

Once again, I'm just using these as examples.  I don't want to change the
format of any the pre-existing meta-commands.  Oh, and stealing an example
from another post in this thread:

0 (VERSION) 1 0 0

Note that I shortened from LDRAWVERSION to just (VERSION) because the ()
delimiters should accomplish the task of making sure it's not already used.
I think as long as we don't allow spaces between the parentheses, we'll be
fine.  I would expect single-word parenthetical phrases to be rare enough in
comments to be confident of avoiding mis-interpretation.

Another alternative that might be less frightening to users that {}, but
also more rare than parentheses would be <>, i.e.:

0 <BFC> CW
0 <FILE> myfile.dat
0 <VERSION> 1 0 0

In fact, I think I like the above more than any of the other suggestions
I've seen, including my own earlier ones.

Since Tim posted that ledit doesn't like new line types, it might be hard to
convince people to accept // for comments.  I also think it's taking the
wrong approach.  If we're going to force something to change, then the tools
are probably a better target than all the users.

Ah, I see the confusion.  In saying //, what I really meant was "0 //",
where // is the meta-command that means comment.

Rather than place all new meta-commands in <>, or (), or {}, I'd rather have
a token that means "the rest of this line is a meta-command".  Something
like META or !, or $ as was suggested.  This serves the same purpose as
placing all new meta-commands in <>, but just feels better to me.

Kevin

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)

p.s.  Has anyone taken a look at the Lugnet traffic statistics for this
week? :-)