 CAD / Development / 8430
Re: Backwards Compatibility (Was Calling all Meta-commands)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 15:20:31 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin Clague writes:

Mucho Snippo.

LSynth was the first time I actually needed data in the LDraw file format
that was not detailed using parts, lines, triangles and quads.  I went to
look for documentation on how I might do this, and I was told to make sure
whatever I did was tollerable by the LDraw program.  I was extremely
surprised by this answer.  I've never run LDraw.  Since that point, I've
been interested in an LDraw specification process, so that folks that want
to join in writing new LDraw compatible applications know where to start.

Excellent points, Kevin! All - I can second everything Kevin is saying here.
Through many private exchanges, and by meeting Kevin at BricksWest, I've
come to understand his position on this quite well. He is just one example
of someone relatively new to LDraw who has wanted specs to make his life
easier programming. He explained to me how he had to reverse-engineer some
meta-commands, like MLCad's ROTSTEP, to get them to work in LPub. This for
want of standards and a clearly defined, centrally located spec. He also
pointed out to me this:

If we want to encourage other programmers to volunteer and write programs
for the LDraw system, what exists now needs to be clearly documented.

Guys, this isn't just for us, this is for the future of the LDraw system.
There could be a person or people coming down the pipe who could
revolutionize LDraw. But, perhaps we could miss those opportunities by not
having this done. I've got some medium to long-term ideas for a future
vision of the system I know can't be fulfilled until a spec and a standards
body is in place. I talk to a lot of non-LDraw, and even non-LEGO people
about this, but a common theme in that is our need to organize ourselves.

I'm quite glad to see the energy my call has unleashed.

Me too!!

-Tim