 CAD / Development / 8421
Re: Calling all Meta-commands
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 03:04:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Ahui Herrera writes:
For better or worse, we're now stuck with the orginal LDraw meta-commands,
and effectively stuck with the meta-commands that are already in use (for
BFC, MPD, etc).  But, if we're going to try to decide how define good
behavior for future meta-commands, I think we should come up with something
that guarantees that legitimate comments aren't mistaken for meta-commands.

Are we REALLY stuck with current meta-commands?

Yes.

Sure if we change them all
(the META Statements) after setting up a "body of standards" our old files
may not work but somewhere down the future is it NOT better to NOT worry
about backward compatibale and worry about creating a NEW better format?  I
know that Tim is going to go YUK on this idea of non-backwards compatiable,
but I would rather see a proper solution then anoth band-aid on our LDraw
format.

I think we'll see coming out of this discussion something that will prevent
the meta-command chaos we've seen for the past years. No one here is talking
about a new file format, or new version of a spec - yet. First we need to
fully document the spec and construct a system within which to advance the
file format before say publishing a new version.

I think you could ask almost anyone here and they would say
backwards-compatibility is a must. That isn't a bad thing, so long as we
build a framework for legitimate advancement of the format in the future.

-Tim