 CAD / Development / 8404
Re: Calling all Meta-commands
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:25:36 GMT

I don't think of any new meta-commands as polution.  Possibly over-population?

I've got mixed feelings about the LTrax solution.

It is very hard to know which meta-commands will be usable across many
applications.  Certainly the original LDraw meta-commands are usable across
many LDraw compatible tools, but LPub supports any of the MLCad defined
meta-commands that are meaningful.

I created the SYNTH meta-command for flexible-part synthesis.  I intentionally
didn't name the meta-command LSYNTH, because I wasn't sure what the actual
application name was going to be.  Besides someone might come in and displace
LSynth with a better synthesizer.  SYNTH seemed to reflect the intent of the
meta-command without it being bound to a specific application.

It is hard to know what the right philosophy is here.  MLCAD has gone both ways
on this one.

Kevin