 CAD / Development / 8306
8305  |  8307
Subject:
Making parts 2999 and 2998 work together
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 23:02:44 GMT

I posted a 'hold' review on the wheel from the 8080 Super Car (part
2998).  You can read it at: <http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?s=2998>.

The part file itself is good.  Unfortunately, 2998 only fits with part 2999
(see 2999 at <http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?s=2999>.  2999 was
released back in 1998.  Right now, the two files are awkward to use together --
you have to do some rotating, and sliding, to make them fit right.  And this
is a situation where the right position for the two parts isn't all that
obvious.

So, the standard fix is to reposition the wheel, since it's the new,
unofficial file.  That's what I recommended in my review.  But that seems
like a stupid move -- it's a wheel, and it's currently positioned on it's
centerpoint, just like wheels should be.

The sensible thing to do would be to reposition 2999, since it is in an odd
orientation for its intended use.  Unfortunately, that would break any
models that use 2999.  OTOH, how many models can there be that use this
part?  The only mating part wasn't available, until Don made 2998.

I'd like some other people's opinions on this.  Should we move 2999, and put
a note in the next release, to warn people about it?  Should we move 2998,
and let people figure out how to put them together?

I thought about making a 2999c01 shortcut file, but I'd rather get a
solution that just simplifies putting the parts together, since it isn't
inherently complicated.

Steve