 CAD / Development / 8267
Re: Seam width
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 03:02:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Trond Hasse Lie writes:
Hi.

Just wondering:

How do you calculate the seam width in programs like L3P and LDView?
Do you just scale the part by x% ? Or ?

In LDView, I do a few things.  First, I check to see if the file I just
loaded is a part.  In order to be a part, it has to satisfy two criteria.
First, it can't be the child of a part.  Second, it has to either be in the
LDraw Parts directory, or it has to have a header comment indicating that it
is a part.

Once I have determined that I have a part, I calculate its axis-aligned
bounding box.  Then, for each of the X, Y, and Z axes, I calculate the scale
factor necessary to shrink that dimension by the seam width.  For example,
for X I would calculate (width - seamWidth) / width as my scale factor.

Finally, I scale the part in each dimension based on the calculated scale
factor, while being sure that the resulting scaled part has a bounding box
centered in the same spot as the original bounding box.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)