 CAD / Development / 8075
Re: Why should parts not have vertices lying along edges?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 02:22:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tony Hafner writes:
How bad is this?  Should I care at all?  Which renderers have this problem,
or which have it the worst?  Is this a rule that I can happily throw out if
there is much to be gained by doing so?

My opinion is that this isn't a significant enough problem to worry about.
Further more, I consider this is a renderer limitation and not a problem
with the part itself. Therefore, feel free to ignore this if it suits your
purposes.

I wouldn't ignore it lightly as it can have many adverse effects.
You get little holes from from the roundoff errors.  You can also
see it in lighting problems with more advanced renderers such as
ldview and POV.  Here's an old example of the lighting issue as
demonstrated by ldview.

  http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/dheyse/temp/6203ldview.png

In this example two half circles butt up against one rectangle.
If the rectangle had been broken up into 2 rectangles to match the
circle center points along it's edge there'd be no problem with
the lighting.  I suppose you could blame this on the renderer for
not being smart enough to automatically tesselate the rectangle,
but I wouldn't.

Don