 CAD / Development / 8012
8011  |  8013
Subject:
Any Oberon programmer here?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 02:08:56 GMT

Oberon is a development environment originally by Niklaus Wirth (Turing
price awarded inventor of Pascal) and can be downloaded here for a large
variety of platforms:

http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/

The reason why I highlight Oberon is because we need a component technology
and Oberon is a candidate.
The reason why we need a component technology is because current LDraw
hardware (the library with many action-oriented parts) is far beyond LDraw
software (still at the age of building instructions). IMO it is unlikely
that a single person using traditionnal techniques (I mean IDEs like Delphi
and Visual C++) can achieve what users want to do with parts. The usage
possibilities can't be covered by a monolithic program, even using DLLs.

Play with some Oberon widgets : you will be convinced it is like software
bricks.

May be no LDraw programmer will go far beyond MLCad.
The next LDraw breakthough is having software bricks.
Many think a layer design is sufficient:
1. Parts
2. Models (MLCad)
3. Joints (was LCD project)
4. Animation (was LMPL project)
5. Interactivity

But actually only component technology leverage the implementation effort to
the point of feasibility.
Interactivity obviously requires user integrated components at a granularity
where DLLs are no help.

Play well with Oberon,

Damien