 CAD / Development / 7764
Re: Portable Ldraw system "Laptop"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:07:08 GMT

--- Eduardo Vazquez Harte <eduvazhar@terra.es> wrote:
I'll be buying an

IBM 7708
Pentium II with 366mhz
128 MB of RAM

[snip]

I believe that is enought for working with ldraw,
mlcad, l3p, pov-ray
'rendering only at low quality made for the laptop'

[snip]

Eduardo,

That should be more than enough power. I was using a
200MHz laptop w/ 80MB RAM the first year I got into
LDraw and was able to do nice renders w/o problems.
The key is patience.

I've since ended up w/ a 400Mhz Celeron desktop w/
128MB RAM and still am able to use all the the LDraw
apps and POV-Ray to render high quality images. I
can't imagine the difference between a 366 and 400MHz
processor being that noticable. Again, the key is
patience, and constructive use of your time while
doing renders; I may start a high quality render and
wander to the ice box for a sandwich and it's usually
done when I get back. Of course I could probably save
some time by _not_ rendering at 800x600 all the time.
:)

Jack,
AFOL, St. Louis