 CAD / Development / 7482
Re: File header questions/requests
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:47:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:

I have 1 comment and 1 PT request:

1.)  Do we really need to submit files where the only change is the addition
of keywords, a moved to statement, a file name change, etc...?  I feel these
things can be changed behind the scenes and do not have to subjected to the
voting process at all.

Yes, these files should go through some approval process.  I don't know
about Chris, but I definitely can and do make mistakes.

This is especially true when parts are renumbered - that new part number
needs to be verified, if at all possible.

I would expect that a reviewer would treat a file with just keyword
changes differently from a file with major code changes.  For keyword
changes, I would first check that only the keywords changed, then I'd
look at the keywords to see if I agreed with the change, then I'd post
my review based on that.

2.) I noticed that admin has a neat little link to edit the header of the
file.  I know this will probably be hard to impliment but can permission be
given to the author to edit the header of a part they submitted?

For now, I'd like to keep the header edit just to the admins.  Making a
header change is not a big deal for us (now), so it's not a big
time-suck.  But there are some loose ends around it that shouldn't be
opened up in general.

Problem
with file header format/syntax seems to be a recurring theme for
holds/comments.  While I feel that holds placed for file header mistakes
alone are counter-productive and said problems should just be noted as
comments for admin to fix, the above request will alleviate the already
overworked Steve and Chris of just one more thing they have to do by
allowing the authors to fix it themselves.

I'm not going to express a general opinion here.  For a lot of specific
instances, I'd agree with you.  OTOH, it'd be nice if people got the
headers right.

If it's a question of holds being placed on the file, I don't emails
asking me to make the edit.  It helps if you include the URL to the file
in question, just to save me that little bit of typing.

Steve