 CAD / Development / 7445
Re: Patterned Parts Summary available in the Parts Tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 20:08:10 GMT

The following started as a response to Orion, but grew into a general
guide for compiling these lists.

In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:

I don't have a lot of character as of yet (I have a pretty large collection
on the way that I got from eBay) but if you want me to filter through Peeron
I can do that

Actually, the way I've been proceeding is to look at Fibblesnork,
Locker99, Minimundo! (!), and Peeron as references.  If you[1] have all
the minifigs from a playtheme, and they're handy to look at, that's
great.  I've done most of my analysis just from the online resources.
Sometimes the online pictures are not sufficient to determine if two
patterns are the same or not, so you'll occasionally need to have real
minifigs on-hand for consultation.

There are two goals for doing this analysis:

1. Identify all unique patterned minifig heads, torsos, hips, legs and
sometimes etc. within a playtheme so they can be pre-assigned pattern
codes.
2. As much as is practical, identify specific 'characters', so that all
the patterned parts for that 'character' can be pre-assigned the same
code.

Most minifig references record each minor variation as a separate
minifig, including capes, and helmets, and sometimes even accessories.
We're just the opposite, we want to reduce the number of entries, and
ignore irrelevant variations.  If it's not patterned, we're not
particularly interested.  We'd like to include each pattern in the list
just one time.  Obviously, this isn't always possible, because heads and
torsos are reused between minifigs.

So, my first step is to look through the 'figs in a theme, and get an
idea of how many unique faces and shirts there are.  If there are any
obvious characters (like Johnny Thunder, Luke Skywalker, or the Old
Shogun), I'll list those.

For minifigs made out of shared/reused patterns, I'll pick whichever
configuration allows me to make the shortest list.  I did this quite a
bit with the Ninja -- I always think of the "ninja princess" in her
white form, but the white princess torso uses the standard Ninja pattern
(pn6).  In one of the limited edition minifig heroes sets, the princess
appeared in green, with a unique torso pattern.  So this is the pattern
I labeled as the 'ninja princess' in my list (I really didn't do it just
to confuse Orion!).

For patterns that are already modeled and released in the parts library,
I included the image from Partsref in the html list.

For patterns that are modeled but still unofficial, I included the image
from the parts tracker (and maybe made it a link to the PT detail page).

For other patterns that aren't modeled yet, I included the thumbnail
image from Peeron in the list, and made it a link to Peeron's detail
page for the part.

My pages include images from the Minimundo! site, but the site's owner
has asked me not to do that.  You can link to images on other sites, or
you can make copies of the Minimundo! images and post them on your own
site.

One thing I haven't done, but thought about, is to make a section for
"loose parts".  These would be patterns that aren't (or "don't need to
be") associated with any particular unique minifig 'character', and so
can be assigned to whatever pattern code is handy.  I am going to do
this with the Star Wars list, because there are a number of heads and
torsos that aren't uniquely matched with anything.

--
Steve
1) That's 'you' meaning everyone, not just Orion.