 CAD / Development / 6649
6648  |  6650
Subject:
LDraw Names for Monorail Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:00:51 GMT

[XPosted to .cad.dev and .trains, FUT intentionally not set]

Background:  Bernd Broich has created LDraw files for many (all?) of the
components of the Monorail track and motor system.

Background2: In the LDraw parts library, we try to to keep everything
organized by using "categories" of parts.

Question: Do Monorail parts belong in the already-existing Train
category, or should there be a new category specifically for Monorail?

Monorails are tracked equipment, and they are often associated with
Trains in play and display.  But Train parts aren't compatible with
Monorail parts.  At least 4.5V, 12V, and 9V Trains share some
inter-compatibilities.

The fact that the Monorail sets were released under the Town and Space
themes doesn't really affect this matter.  LDraw categorization doesn't
necessarily follow LEGO theme assignations.

You can get an idea of LDraw part categories at this page:
<http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/category/>.  Partsref's categories are
not exactly the same as LDraw's, but it's the best I can do on short
notice.

If you look at the Parts Tracker List Page,
<http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/list.html>, and search the page
for "Monorail", you can see the different parts Bernd has written.

TIA,
Steve Bliss
LDraw.org