 CAD / Development / 6548
Re: New Part: dome.dat (and a part authoring tool idea)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 04:27:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, William Wood writes:
Thanks for the review.  I fixed the problems you noted.  Let me know if you
see any other problems.

Well, now that you mention it, there are a few more missing type 5
lines around the top of the upper dome and the bottom of the lower
dome.

I wish there were better tools around to examine the lines.  I've
been experimenting with some new drawing modes in ldglite to handle
this.  I put up a windows executable that defaults to drawing only
VISIBLE lines when you spin the part.  This way you can easily spot
the missing ones because they don't appear when they should as you
spin the part.  They're even easier to spot if you turn on anti-
aliased lines, but the rendering is somewhat slower.

  http://ldglite.sourceforge.net/l3gliteexe0_9_4.zip

This might be a nice enhancement to l3lab.  I think it'd be easy
to add.  I just draw in two stages: solid polygons first but only
to the depth buffer, then draw the edges.  I suppose you could also
achieve the same effect by drawing the solids in the background
color without shading.

Don