 CAD / Development / 6197
Re: Opinion sought for rendering style
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 04:47:03 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Gary Williams writes:
I spent a few moments tweaking the rendering style of my in-development cad
program.

A sample can be seen at http://www.wizardhat.com/demo/1.gif

Looks quite nice, sharp rendering.

Of note is the fact that my rendering engine is completely ignoring the line
and conditional line entities in the .dat files (entity types 2 and 5).
Instead I'm always drawing polygon borders in black.

Why?  A lot of pieces have odd lines on their surfaces -- sometimes
regularly laid out (like on cylindrical bits), sometimes oddly laid out
(like the car doors or complicated printed pieces).  Sometimes these lines
will make an interesting effect, but often they won't.

(I have no intention
of supporting color code 24.)

Again, why?  Black edgelines look great, except when they're drawn on a
black part.  The line information--including color 24--is a big part of the
content of a LDraw part.

While this approach looks very good in general (or at least I think so), one
problem is the appearance of the studs (specifically the 16 triangles that
make up 4-4disc.dat).  I think the studs would look much better without all
those extraneous lines emanating from the center, but I don't have an easy
way to fix that at the moment.

Two suggestions:

1. Write your own files to replace the various stu*.dat files.
2. In your renderer, process studs as inherent primitives, rather than
subfiles.  Then you can make them look however you like.

Comments?

It's your program, and you should do as you like.  I'm just not sure how
generally useful this style of rendering will be.

Just my $0.02.
Steve