 CAD / Development / 5666
5665  |  5667
Subject:
LDraw.org Future Plans/Help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 04:31:22 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

We have been doing a lot of thinking and planning for the future focus of
LDraw.org recently.  Within a week or so, a new section of the site is planned
to be released.  From this, a slight restructuring will take place but nothing
fundamentally different.  I want to take some time to share some thoughts and
get some input on the future direction.

Its obvious that the LCAD community has moved far beyond the original LDraw
software. This is great!  It shows that we are growing and more things are
becoming available to make life easier for those who want to make stunning 3D
models, instructions, and more.  I want the website to reflect those changes,
for a change.

Without totally revealing what is going to happen in a week, the site will take
more of an MLCad focus.  From there I intend to help the site bring forth ideas
and information about other programs that are currently popular - LDView, L3Lab,
L3P, etc.  A lot of these programs have been popular but there hasn't been a lot
of information out there on them.

I have to admit that I'm not the expert on all of these programs.  Personally, I
use MLCad and L3P minimally to create some instructions and renderings
occasionally.  I have to go through learning more about what each one of these
does and how it impacts the DAT universe as well.

For those of you who are experts on these utilities, I'd like to see more
information on the site about them.  I'm thinking about gradually adding a few
features to the site which will make it more like a magazine - voices of the
users of the LCAD community coming out and providing this information for the
rest of the people out there.  I encourage people to write articles about
utilities like LDView and L3Lab to get more people interested, share the latest
usage tips, troubleshooting, etc.  All of this will help grow the LCAD
community.

So...from there, I'd like to hear thoughts on where the site can go to provide
more for the needs of the LCAD users, new users, and the current popular
utilities.  LDraw.org will move its focus away from the old LDraw (while it will
still be promoted, not as exclusively), and into the new stuff, something that's
been needed for some time.

Recently Tom McDonald came 'on board' with the site to help out, and his task is
converting some tutorials over to ldraw.org format.  These will be up in the
relative near future as well.

Please send ideas and suggestions, and if you have something to write about, its
much appreciated!  Thanks.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne