 CAD / Development / 4593
Re: LDraw DAT format standard questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:41:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney wrote:

Hey all...

Just a couple questions on the .dat file format:

Is there an official document somewhere which outlines the specifics
of the .dat format for people as a reference?  If there isn't, it
probably would be a good idea to have one.

The only document I'm aware of is the LDraw FAQ.  There must have been something
else, somewhere, because I'm sure I didn't figure it out on my own.  But it
might have been e-mail communication with James, or on the original L-CAD
mailing list.

Also, I was talking to Paul Gyugyi a couple weeks ago at his house and
he mentioned that .dat would be a WHOLE lot better if the format could
support smooth round surfaces, instead of having to rely on planes to
simulate rounded surfaces.  Could something be appended to the format
for 2nd gen editors to pick up on and utilize this type of feature?
It would improve the quality of LDraw-based renderings tremendously.
Thoughts?

I agree with Paul.  The #1 needed extension to LDraw is curved surfaces and
edges.

BUT, there's already a way for rendering programs to make smooth curves--they
can intercept subfile references to primitive files, and replace these with real
curved objects.  That's not as open and flexible as allowing direct
specification of curved surfaces, but it is completely compatible with the
existing language.

I also like Jonathan's suggestion, of keeping a separate set of primitives with
the new syntax.  Except I don't like the idea of maintaining multiple sets of
primitives. :(

Steve