 CAD / Development / 4545
4544  |  4546
Subject:
Hunt for missing primitives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 06:26:23 GMT

Hi all,

Reviewing the new parts of the Vote 2000-1 I noticed that some primitives
are missing from my machine. e.g. 'box4-1.dat'

I reinstalled 'ldraw.exe' and all James' and Terry's updates, but this
primitive wasn't there. However, 'lcad9807.exe' contained the following
primitives, as the readme file (read9807.txt) declares:

"New Primitives approved by the primitives group:
  BOX4_1.DAT    Box, 4 faces drawn, 1 edge left out
  BOX4_4A.DAT   Box, 4 faces drawn, 4 adjacent edges left out
  BOX4_7A.DAT   Box, 4 faces drawn, 7 adjacent edges left out"

At the end the same file gave the tip as follows:

"TIP:  AFTER you have installed update lcad9807, you can DELETE the
      following files from your \Parts directory. Or go to:
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/2244/del-dat.txt
      for a list of unneeded files and a batch file to do the job.

      25931-12.DAT
      25931-8H.DAT ", etc.

I can't remember clearly, but I must had dowloaded the indicated file, that
is still in my ldraw directory the contains the following funny lines:

"ECHO.
ECHO.    Press ENTER to see list of files in \P
ECHO.    to be deleted.....
PAUSE >nul
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO.      BOX4_1.DAT   (mis-named \p directory file)
ECHO.      BOX4_4A.DAT  (mis-named \p directory file)
ECHO.      BOX4_7A.DAT  (mis-named \p directory file)
ECHO.
ECHO.    Note: Only if these files exist will
ECHO.          they be deleted.
ECHO.          Each deletion will ask for confirmation.
ECHO.
ECHO.    To continue, press ENTER.
ECHO.    To cancel, press CTRL C
Pause >nul
CLS
if exist p\BOX4_1.DAT del p\BOX4_1.DAT /p
if exist p\BOX4_4A.DAT del p\BOX4_4A.DAT /p
if exist p\BOX4_7A.DAT del p\BOX4_7A.DAT /p
CLS"

I guess Terry noticed that these primitives are mistakingly written with
underscores ("_") in the name, instead of dashes ("-"), and decided to
replace them later. But it seems to me that this has never been incorporated
into the official updates. The fact that Chris and others use these
primitives like

BOX4-1.DAT  (dash!)
BOX4-4A.DAT (dash!)
BOX4-7A.DAT (dash!)

in their new parts, indicates that the replacement somehow took place (at
least on their machines :-) ).

Don't jump on me, I could rename the primitives on my machine (as I surely
will), but this wouldn't be a correct solution for the other new ldraw
users.

I suggest to the Primitive Comittee and Steve to review the completeness of
the official primitives and if they find missing ones (I guess these three
are missing),  include them in the next update.

Thanks in advance

Ampi

Imre Papp
Geometria GIS Systems House