 CAD / Development / 4298
Re: L3PLiTE?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 15:16:00 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide wrote:

I posted some messages about adding that kind of information in the
past to the L-CAD list but nobody paid much attention, maybe now that
you all agree that BFC is a good thing we could decide on a standard for
the connections ?

I seem to remember there was a fair amount of discussion on the
connections/hot-points issue.

My contribution to the discussion amounted to this, more or less:

Because of the large number of ways LEGO pieces can be inter-connected,
we need to establish a very flexible standard, so that as many
inter-connections as possible could be supported.  Even if we only start
with including stud-to-tube connections, having a good standard is
important, so that we can add more connection-type later, without
rewriting the spec.

A few connection types:

stud to tube
rod to clip
axle to axlehole
peg to peghole
plate between studs
minifig: arm-to-torso
minifig: neck-to-neckware (actually, a special case of stud-to-tube)
winch: reel-to-base
turntable: 2x2 base to 2x2 top
tree trunk to tree trunk
small towball to socket
hinge-finger to hinge-finger

some connections rotate, some are fixed.  Some are point-to-point, some
are point-to-axis (ie, one piece can slide along the connection).

I think it would be awesome to have a standard spec for this stuff.

Steve