 CAD / Development / 4139
4138  |  4140
Subject:
Recursive MPD files (WAS: Re: Lich (Undead Wizard))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 03:49:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.models, Franklin W. Cain writes:
I've been doodling with castle stuff lately.

This is the MPD I used to create the image
that I posted here:
"http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fwcain/people/lich2a.jpg"

[snip an evil nasty MPD file]

The lich is evil I tell ya!

Well maybe just recursive MPD files are evil.  Do you realize ring2.dat
is an ldraw primitive and that by redefining it in the MPD file you've
created an infinite loop of dat file includes.

ring2.dat -> flame3.dat -> flame3s.dat ...-> stud2a.dat -> ring2.dat...

Of course stud2a.dat expects to get the ring2.dat primative in the P
directory.  But since ring2.dat from the MPD file was encountered first,
we get that one instead (and the ring is complete).

Then that lame excuse for an OS, Windows gets so hosed up when lich.dat
blows the stack in my ldglite program that it refuses to do ANY more
opengl until I reboot.

So my question is:  How do we fix this?  Must I check for infinite
loops when parsing MPD files.  And why doesn't that L3Input code Lars
loaned me already do that?  Hasn't this come up before?

Don