 CAD / Development / 4035
4034  |  4036
Subject:
stl2dat conversion tool beta3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 10:04:32 GMT

A new release of stl2dat is available here
http://marc.klein.free.fr/stl2dat.html

It creates now correctly the type 2 lines.
I removed the bug with "partial adjacent facets". (was a silly bug,
triangles where merged too early)
The part name, author name and angle limit can be given in the command
line

Some explanation of the conversion
1. merge  adjacent coplanar triangles to quad facet
2. detect cylinder primitive
3. create type 2 and type 5 lines
4. merge adjacent coplanar triangles to triangle

Ideas for future implementation
- Optional switch off of features of the program
- Merge contiguous aligned type 2 lines
- Merge triangles and quad when possible
- Optimize creation of type 5 lines : no creation of unnecessary lines
- Make a Dealaunay triangulation
- Detect disc, ring, cone pimitives
- Detect stud primitives

stl2dat is an utilitary tool to convert .stl files
issued from CAD software like Solidworks, Autocad, and many others to
.dat files for ldraw compatible programs.

I would appreciate any comments and suggestions.
Marc Klein
A Mindstorms fan.