 CAD / Development / 3582
3581  |  3583
Subject:
Parts Updates News
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 02:17:04 GMT

Dear L-CAD'ers:

I'm posting this quick FYI so that everyone knows what my plans are for the next
parts update.

I've currently got 70 files for the 2000-01 update.  All the new parts,
primitives, and file fixes submitted since the 99-06 voting was opened.  I'm
working my way through these files, doing basic checking on the file headers and
looking for obvious errors.  I'm about 10% of the way through the list.

My goal is to post voting in the next 2-3 weeks.  We'll see if I can meet that
goal.

I expect there will be changes to the updates download page on ldraw.org.  At
the very least, the graphic preview will change from a single huge combined .gif
to an html page with individual images.  On my system, the 99-06 preview won't
display properly, because the image is so large.  I expect other people's
systems are the same.

Longer term, I'm hoping to tweak the process of 'officializing' parts.  The
voting procedure has some weaknesses which should be addressed.  I'd like to
establish a one-to-one peer review process, so that we can be assured that all
new parts are reviewed thoroughly by at least one person (and that one person is
not always me!).

--
Steve Bliss
your parts update admin