 CAD / Development / 2732
RE: Parts for LDraw or parts for POV-Ray?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 07:57:56 GMT

Bram Lambrecht wrote:
I'm not sure which library has the most realistic finishes and
colors, but you may want to compare the output of Anton's,
Lutz's, Paul's, and your own definitions for LEGO colors and
finishes.  I think Anton's lego_finish and pure colors (ie
<1,0,0> is red, etc) may yield the best results, IMHO.

I agree that Anton's settings are the best:
http://people.a2000.nl/araves/Hover_1.jpg
It makes me wanna reach out my hand and grab the model.
I think he uses just one light (area-light) and maybe also
radiosity.

  Black is the major problem-- to make it realistic, you often
lose detailing shadows.  And also, tires and ABS black have
different colors and finishes.  Maybe you could add a switch
to choose between detail-showing black and realistic black?

Yes, like John VanZwieten suggested:
http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.cad:2069

  The slope bricks could use a rough surface, but most of
that would be solved by using parts from a library.

Not necessarily, I don't think the slopes in Lgeo have a special
surface.

As I already mentioned, tires and rubber hoses (and string in
the future?) should also have different finishes from regular
bricks.
  As for more realistic lighting, I'm not sure.  Adding
shadowless to detailing lights gets rid of extra shadows.  I've
also noticed that a light with the same coordinates as the
camera helps to highlight details.
  I'm no expert at raytracing, but I hope that helps!

I'm no expert either, I think it takes a lot of experience and
experiments to come up with good settings. Most of the parameters
are related: if you e.g. change the colors, you should probably
also change the ambient and diffuse values. And it all depends on
how many lights you have and the reflectivity of the bricks.

Last spring during the development of L3P I spent a lot of time
experimenting with different settings. I even tried Antons's and
Lutz's settings. But to be able to see most details I found that
three light were best and together with reflection this had big
influence on ambient, diffuse and colors. My colors are pretty
light (especially the black), again to be able to see details
better.

The wish to see all details is probably because my primary interest
is the technical aspect of generating the objects and geometries.
I'm not too artistic minded, just have a look at my gallery - all
models have the same boring background.
To have more realistic images it may be a good idea to darken the
scene and enhance contrast, the brain then compensates for the
details it cannot see - and you believe it looks naturally.

So, please feel free to experiment and suggest better settings.
Especially materials/textures for rubber and slopes.
/Lars

By the way, the URL was slightly (but fatally) wrong:
You should try the beta v1.2 Win32 L3P32:
http://www.netby.net/Nord/Mandelvej/Hassing/Test/l3p32b.zip
Terry has successfully used it for a 6000 part model.
Be sure to try out the new STUDS flag in the POV-file to reduce
rendering time during the test renderings.
It's http://www.netby.net/Nord/Mandelvej/Hassing/test/l3p32b.zip