 CAD / Development / 2576
Re: Parts for LDraw or parts for POV-Ray? (was: Re: i admit i was wrong)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 19:41:39 GMT

Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:37b46776.17418038@lugnet.com...
On Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:56:39 GMT, "John VanZwieten"
<john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com> wrote:

IMHO, the improvement to the POV output justifies modeling curved edges where possible.  The baseplate with hard edges just won't
have that picture-perfect quality, even though it will be fine for LDraw.

I disagree on this point.

Perhaps we should take this debate to a more appropriate group:  lugnet.cad.dev.on-topic :-)

LDraw parts should be primarily focused on optimizing rendering in
LDraw-tools.  Among other things, this means that small-radius curved edges
are better drawn as sharp edges.  Heck, when you get right down to details,
*all* edges on LEGO parts are rounded.  So what's the cut-off radius?

In general the cut-off for details is 1 LDU, or so I've been told.  For small-radius curves, 2 LDU might make more sense in some
situations.  The baseplate in question probably has curves of radius > 4 LDU, just guessing from memory.

IMO, for LDraw parts, if a detail is shown in LEGO instructions, it should
be part of the LDraw part file.  If a detail is explicitly skipped in LEGO
printed instructions, it can be skipped in the LDraw part.  This is a
guideline, not a hard-and-fast rule.  There are too many differences
between the two media (printed instructions and LDraw renderings) for
everything to be identical.

This certainly makes sense as a guideline.  Those click-hinges are shown squared off with edgelines--but then again they're also
shown with a hole all the way through the indentations.  I'll have to go look at the instructions for the Ice Station Oddessy.

High-quality parts should be modeled directly in POV-Ray.  There are
details that can be captured in POV-Ray that would never be practical in an
LDraw file.  For example, those rounded edges have been part of raytrace
libraries since at Paul Gyugyi's L3G0.

And this leads us back to the tantalizing, captivating possibility of
L3P-meets-L2P.  Oh, if only it were so.  Hmm, did Lars publish the source
to L3P?  Hmm.  No, I'm too busy this year.  Maybe *after* the next update
to LDAO is put to bed.

That would be pretty awesome.  I started with POV only after L3P was introduced, so I've never taken the time to set up L2P.  But
the idea of using those truly quality parts with the limitless possibilities of L3P is certainly intruiging.

-John Van