 CAD / Development / 167
Re: Part Bug: 6540 Technic Steering Arm Large
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:05:59 GMT

"KJMRR" <kjmrr@easystreet.com> writes:

The other day I was doing an inventory of my 8880 Super Car set and I came
across an LDraw part inconsistency;
The 6540 - Technic Steering Arm Large, seems to be modeled differently than
the 6540's that came with my Super Car.  In the LDraw part, the connector at
the far end of the end of the steering arm (that is, far from the ring with
the two towballs) is shown as a Technic axle hole (a x shaped hole that an
axle would fit in).  Where as In the 6540 that I have, this connection is
actually a Technic Pin Socket.

This is probably true.  However, the "Technic Steering Arm Large" that
came with the 8880 Supercar comes in two versions: The first year (or
so) of production, the steering arm has a cross axle hole.  Later
versions had the technic pin socket, like your version.  So the part in
LDraw is correct; you simply have a different version of the part.

I don't know if both versions of the part had the same number, though.
Perhaps the LDraw version should be renumbered?  Anybody know if the
original "Technic Steering Arm Large" has the number 6540?

I would mention it directly to the author of the part, but the DAT file
doesn't contain that information.

It was probably modeled by Jessiman?  I'm really impressed with the
number of parts he authored.

Its also possible that there have been two versions of this part.

Yup!  :-)

Was this part used in any other set?

Probably not.  The 8865 has a rather similar part, though.  It has a
normal axle hole for connecting a wheel rahter than the 2L diameter hole
in the Supercar steering arm.  This part is also included in 8485,
although only one (and black).  :-/

Fredrik