 CAD / Development / 1579
RE: L3PB Problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 08:36:29 GMT

Tamy (Mookie) wrote on Saturday, May 01, 1999 5:59 PM:
I finally got everything running on my system again... I'm
using the new L3Pb version, and I've noticed that on the
bounding box line I sometimes get a lot of extranous crap
on the line which causes POV to choke... it does a line wrap..
I can delete the 2nd line of it and it runs no problem.
There's also garbled stuff in the bounding box line.

(garbled stuff removed)

Thanks for the info. I noticed this too, just the other week.
And I also got a mail from Terry, but I thought it only
affected the Bounding Box comment, so I didn't want to make
a new beta just for that.

The problem is that L3Pb was compiled with a too small
memory model!
The TurboC compiler offers 6 (!) different memory models,
using 16 or 32 bit pointers for either code or data.
The size of the L3P program used to be less than 64 kB
so I used a memory model with small code pointers but
large data pointers. But now L3P has grown bigger, and
I switched to a larger memory model a week ago, and
this solved the problem.
Luckily the problem (or symptom) was easy to spot here:
some printing code used wrong strings. Other times this
kind of problem is almost impossible to spot, a program
just behaves very strangely.

I am switching to a new computer at home (PII 450 ;-),
so for a replacement of the BETA L3P, you may have a
look at L3P32b, a Win32 version:
http://www.netby.net/Nord/Mandelvej/Hassing/test/l3p32b.zip
/Lars