 CAD / Development / 1574
Re: DAT files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 1 May 1999 09:21:24 GMT

On Sat, 1 May 1999 04:33:54 GMT, "D Garcia" <boneboney@aol.com> wrote:

I am new to LDraw, and I would like to know how to use the DAT files posted
to these groups.  Any response would be greatly appreciated!!

                                        D M Garcia

First thing, you have to get LDraw.  It is freely available:
http://hugin.ldraw.org/JJ_Memorial/official.html
There is quite a bit to download there, and you will need to make sure you get
all required files.

If you have a computer *faster* than 200mhz, you will need to run a patch on
the program after installation:
http://hugin.ldraw.org/JJ_Memorial/qna.html
check the ERROR 200 button.

Also on that page is a link to an excellent online tutorial if you are
interested in learning more about LDraw and LEdit (the modeling program)

At this point, you can save the dat files available here as text files in your
ldraw\models directory, and use LDraw to view them.

To simplify using LDraw (it is command line driven), I recommend you get an
interface shell for it.  Two are available:
http://hugin.ldraw.org/JJ_Memorial/shells.html

Once you have LDraw installed and working, you can also view the dat files
posted on lugnet directly through the web interface.  You will need to be using
a Netscape browser (MS browsers have problems), and you will also need LDLite,
an advanced version of a dat file viewer:
http://www.gyugyi.com/l3g0/ldlite/index.html
(You must have Win95/98/NT to run LDLite)
Instructions on how to set up LDLite to work with your web browser are on that
page, as well as included with the program as an html file.

If you have any problems, ask here and you will get plenty of help,

-- Terry K --