 CAD / Development / 1446
Re: [ldraw.org] Domain Registration
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 17:33:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Todd Lehman writes:
Here, although it is relatively unlikely, someone else -could- appear out of
the blue, either coincidentally or mischievously, and register ldraw.org
before Tim does, if he doesn't act quickly.  Second, I'll bet you that
having the domain registered and pointing to Jacob's machine sooner rather
than later will get the ball rolling in the right direction more quickly
than waiting for the fees to drop.

Right..  Now that the name is on its way to being registered, I'm starting
to think more and more about the design.  Choosing a font is tough, and I
know some might give me flak for being so worried about astethics, but I
want this site to be well made to reflect the community as a whole.  I can
also stick this in a portfolio ;)

Thing is, once you've got a domain registered and an HTTP server connected
to it, it's pretty hard to resist plopping *some* kind of data onto it, for
the same reasons that the bear went over the mountain and George Leigh
Mallory climbed Mt. Everest.

Correct, as soon as I get the feel buttoned down (hopefully today), I'll
slap up a splash page with an image to say something to the effect that its
a work in progress and coming soon.

Does the new site necessarily need to be 100% complete before it can start
adding value?  For example, moving a self-contained resource such as Bram
Lambrecht's LDraw & LEdit Tutorial to www.ldraw.org (with Bram's blessing,
naturally) or the LDraw FAQ would be an extremely easy task.  Would moving
these not in fact provide immediate value to new LDraw users?

http://library.advanced.org/20551/     --> http://www.ldraw.org/tutorial/
http://hugin.risoe.dk/JJ_Memorial/FAQ/ --> http://www.ldraw.org/faq/

Good point.  It can be the temporary home of several documents before they
are fully integrated into the site.

Keep Building!!

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com

AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

You've seen their sites and read their posts, now see their faces:
RTL/LUGNET Legofest 1999: http://www.zacktron.com/legofest/

LEGO: SP++++c(6973)[ip++++ bt2++++ ex+++ ft+++ sp+++ ut++]
AQ+++(6175)[an+++ as++ hn-- sr--] TO++[ob+ dv+ tc-- tt-- tjr.---] TC++ CA+
PI+ BV--- DU--- HM--- S+ LS>+++  #++++  Hal M+ A+ YB82m