 CAD / Development / 10635
Re: New OpenGL based Lego Editor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 22:30:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Willy Tschager wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Jim DeVona wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Ralf Euser wrote:

I was wondering if there is any development in the way of building a new Lego
editor, based on OpenGL (OpenGL=Video card display driver software)))?

I'm sure others will have more specific questions and suggestions. What key
features do you have in mind for your new editor besides OpenGL graphics?

I agree with Jim and would say that LDraw.org always welcomes talented people.
If you are going to write a new editor I suggest to support right from the start
the possibility to translate the interface in other languages without the need
to hack dlls in visual studio (check out what travis has done in LDView)

w.

I second this request.  I'm working on LPub 4 and it will have
internationalization capabilities.

We're using Qt under Visual Studio as the basis for this development for three
reasons:

1.  Linguistics support for translations into languages than the author's first
language.  I only know English, but hopefully those folks that are educated
enough to know more than one spoken language will help translate.  My teammate
is italian, so that ones probably covered.

2.  Platform independence.  Code should be easily compiled for Linux, Mac and
PC.

3.  Since LPub is open source, our use of Qt is free.

Oh, by the way, Qt has support for open GL.

Kevin