 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 188
Re: Question about a new kind of stud
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 22:06:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Ildefonso Junior Zanette writes:
I'm modelling the following part:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30179 "Door  1 x  4 x  6 Frame", but this
part has a different kind of stud:

Great! :)

I didn't find this stud in the primitives directory, so, I start modelling
it. Also, I didn't find a ring compatible with the dimensions of the ring in
this stud, so, I modelled it too.

I replied to your posting of the ring file.

Do I have to submit all those new primitives or inline them in my
30179.dat file?

Good question. :)

I think that submitting the new primitives may help others who will try to
model files that include this kind of stud. However, this kind of stud is
not very common, and maybe it is better to inline them in the part's dat
file and do not overload the primitives directory with those "non-common"
pieces.

Since it is a stud, I'd say you should post stud9.dat as a primitive.  But
replace ring2a.dat with the two-line construction I posted in my earlier
message.

Also, if you want to submit a stud-primitive, you'll need to create a
similar "fast-draw" stu29.dat file.  stu29.dat should only have 8 segments.
Compare stud.dat to stu2.dat to see how "fast-draw" studs compare to regular
stud files.

Steve