 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 153
Re: [Idea] New kind of tore for large diameter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 15:44:03 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Marc Klein wrote:

I have defined a tore that does not use the tore primitive because the standard primitive where to rough for a tore of
that diameter. The 48 version was to detailed for me.

The file  2741c.dat could be a base for a new sort of tore primitive. It has 24 segments for the complete circle and its
better for large tores like the one used in this part.

Any comments ?

note: I've made toroidal bits before, using an approach similar to
2741c.dat, except I built 2741c.dat out of a 4-4cyli.dat and some
2-4cyls.dat.

The reason we had the recent discussions about standardized torus p-files
was so it would be easy to add (and utilize) more torus files in the
future.

2741c.dat could be cast into the torus standard.  You would need to split
2741c.dat into inside and outside files, and rescale it so the major circle
axis = 1.  I think the file names would be:

T24I1363.DAT
T24O1363.DAT

More generally, the reason we stick with 16- and 48-segment circular
objects is to make it easier for everyone to work with the primitives, to
integrate them with angular surfaces.

Also, looking at your file in L3Lab, I don't think the 48-segment
primitives would be too detailed.

Steve