 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 891
Re: New part : Minifig Torso with Patch Pocket Pattern
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 17:36:30 GMT

Chris Dee <chris_w_dee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, John VanZwieten writes:

Chris Dee <chris_w_dee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Here is the old Town/Train workman torso. Please LMKWYT - Chris

Very nice.  I noticed something interesting when viewing this part.  The
shading in L3Lab and LDLite is not applied to edgelines, so the white
edgelines in the pattern show up against the white area of the pattern. • The
edgeline technique still helps the pattern a lower zoom levels so much • that
I'll still use it, but at closer zoom with shading, the result is less • than
stellar.

-John Van

I noticed that too, but dismissed it as a rendering artifact, which I
suppose it is. Do you think this means we should stop using this technique?
The town torsos I have done without the hidden lines look bad in L3Lab at
low mag - so I was minded to go back and fix those. Now I'm not so sure.

Chris

I would say keep using the technique.  Minifigs are most often viewed in
models at a distance where they look better with the lines than without them.
If it really bothers someone, they can turn shading off for a close-up--and
of course the lines disappear in POV-Ray.

The hidden lines are also nice for edgeline views, such as the one in LEdit
for picking pieces.

-John Van