 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6562
Re: LEGO Universe parts cleanup etiquette
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 19:24:32 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Lee Gaiteri wrote:
I have two authored parts under my belt, but both of them were modeled strictly
by eye and patience. Now with the LEGO Universe Team releasing part files in
need of cleanup I feel like I can contribute more. I've been working on cleaning
up a part (44358) that I wanted to use in my own model, but I'm unclear on the
etiquette for handling this, so I have some questions.

1) Should I be contacting somebody in particular to signal that I'm working on
the piece, or editing the wiki page, or just work on it and submit it to the
tracker?

If the part is on the wiki pages it would be a good hint for others to modify
that page with the comment "cleansing in process".
If not, just upload to the PT if you are ready.

I've already confirmed the contributor agreement of course. The wiki
page suggests I edit the item on the page while cleansing it, and delete it
after submission to the parts tracker, but I'm not sure if that's what people
are doing as standard practice;

Should be standard practice, but I am not sure all contributors knows that
pages.

I'm also not sure if I need an account on the
wiki to edit the page, since my ldraw.org account doesn't seem to be recognized

I am also unsure here, but I think your rights have to be set in the wiki
explicit.

there. (Based on the way I've read this, I assume the procedure would be to
submit to the tracker and then delete the item from the wiki. I'd just like more
clarity before I do so so I'm not stepping on anyone's toes.)

2) Bricklink, Peeron, and TLG use radically different names for the part. The
name used by TLG is a little too short and doesn't seem to fit the pattern used
by other LDraw parts. When in doubt, should I always go with Peeron's name? Or
perhaps, since this is more modified tile than modified plate, should I use
Peeron's name as a base and just change "Plate" to "Tile"?

We try to keep the naming mostly from Peeron, but also often we generate our own
name if the given name by the three mentioned institutions is to specific
related to a theme instead describing the part itself.

3) I'm a little unsure on where to place the origin. I tried to look this up by
part family; 44358 is a modified tile in spirit, but Peeron calls it a plate,
Bricklink calls it a cylinder, and TLG just calls it a saucer. Looking at other
modified tiles, most of them use the tile top as the origin, with very few
exceptions (2432, Tile 1 x 2 with Handle, being one of them). Modified plates do
the same, setting the origin at the top of the plate where the studs rise. The
entire part is 48 LDU high and has no studs on top. Based on the modified tiles
and plates I have looked at, I picked the center top of the tile as the origin.
Is this generally agreed on as a good choice?

I would place the origin at this part at exacly the place you have done. If
there is nobody complaining about this origin place - it is a good choice.
Otherwise you will see the comments on the PT one you have uploaded that part.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Keep doing.

cu
mikeheide