 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5973
Re: Overlapping primitives - a reason to Hold a part?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:59:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, William Howard wrote:
   What is the policy on overlapping primitives in a part? Is it OK? Is it frowned upon? Is it accepted as the norm? Is it only accepted under exceptional circumstances? It excessive over-lapping of primitives (or quads/tris) a reason to Hold a part? Is any over-lapping (beyond the exceptional) a reason to Hold the part?

I don’t know what the policy is (or if there is one), but I will point out that it will likely cause artifacts in any transparent parts in any viewer that supports blended transparency (such as LDView). The overlapping sections will get drawn twice, making them a noticeably different shade.

Here’s an example of a quad overlapping a disc drawn in transparent gray:

--Travis

Ahhh. Very good point. I think you’d get problems in povray too.

Tim