 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5884
Re: Plastic Sheets parts for Mars Exploration Rover (Set 7471)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:17:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Michael Heidemann wrote:
Marek Idec schrieb:
Hi,
I have purchased recently the LEGO set 7471. It contains 7 parts of 4 different
types that imitate solar panels. I created DAT files for all of them. They all
are plastic sheets and I copied their names and numbers from Peeron:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x1023a
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x1023b
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x1023c
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x1023d
I submitted my files to the Parts Tracker and they can be found here:
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/x1023a.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/x1023b.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/x1023c.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/x1023d.dat
Please review them and send me your remarks. In particular I would appreciate
your advice on following questions:
1. I didn't know where a point of origin of those parts should be. My arbitrary
decision was to locate it in a centre of a hole. I have chosen holes with the
lowest value of the z-coordinate and the lowest value of the x-coordinate. The
top surface has the y-coordinate equal to 0. If you have any other ideas that
could be reasonable, please, let me know. I'm open for your suggestions.
2. I have measured thickness of those sheets with slide calliper. They are 0.6mm
thick. I made them 1.5LDU thick in my DAT files. Should I keep the value of
1.5LDU or rather round it to 2LDU? Please notice that they might be used with
either flat surface up. In models like 7471 left and right solar panels are the
same. If the thickness is 1.5LDU in one of those cases proper positioning of a
part might require fractional value of one of coordinates. I know it is not
forbidden but with a thickness of 2LDU it would be easier to build models.

Regards,

Marek
Dear Marek,

If the parts 0.6mm thick then it is ok to have 1.5 LDU measuring. The
aim is to make the parts close to original parts not to have easy to
build with parts.
Regarding the point of origin I also feel that your decision to take one
of the holes is a good one.
I only have problems with the part number, because if we do not know the
original LEGO part no we normally ask the admin of the parts tracker to
give a part no. That is a three digit no with a leading x as long as it
is on the parts tracker. Once it is certified the leading x will be
taken away and the three digit no is then the part no in the LDraw
system. So I will now go for the parts and put a hold vote until the
parts are renumbered.

Cu
MikeHeide

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your comments. Giving to my files the number x1023 I assumed that
there is a relationship between Peeron numbers like "x-something" and names in
Parts Tracker. I have just checked some random parts if such temporary numbers
are the same in both systems. I was wrong. There is no relationship. In this
case I am going to ask Parts Tracker admin to assign number to those part.
Regards,
Marek