 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5858
Re: Help needed with torus primitive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 15:23:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Chris Dee wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
Hello,

I haven't used much torus primitives and I don't understand how to
get the values to use them, yet.
Now I am working on a part that needs an inner torus.
The radius for the torus is 15 LDU
The inner radius is 11 LDU
What torus do I need, and when it does not exist, how do I create one?

Niels

The naming convention is detailed in the Primtives Reference -
http://www.ldraw.org/library/primref/#curv3d

I found that one, but the discription wasn't clear to me at first sight.

Since these primitives are normalised with an outer radius of unity, the last
four characters of the file you require will be derived from the first four
decimal digits of the fraction 11/15 = 0.733333 - so 7333.

I was a bit confused about all radiusses involved:
* Major radius (the radius of the centre of the torus)
* Inner radius (for inner torus)
* Outer radius (for outer torus)
* Torus radius

It seems that the value is the fraction torus radius/major radius.
I needed an inner torus for major radius 15 and inner radius 11.
This the torus radius = 15-11 = 4
In torus value i needed is 4/15 = 0.266666 - so 2667

The primtives can be constructed with Paul Easter's primitive generator,
available at :
http://www.geocities.com/pneaster/prim-gen.htm

Thanks,
I had to fiddle a bit to find out how the torus generation worked.
(Where to enter which value).

Niels