 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5647
Re: Newbie question on making new parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:38:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Matthew J. Chiles wrote:
I'm pretty new to L-Draw.  I've read Virtual Lego cover to cover, built a few
models and even tried my hand a making a new part - a Technic straw.  Overall,
lots of fun!

Hi Matt, welcome.

So now I am interested in potentially helping out by creating and contributing
new parts.  But I am unclear on the whole process... can someone enlighten me?

Thanks for wanting to help out.

Is there a list somewhere of what parts are needed most?

No, not currently.

Is there a list somewhere of what parts people are already working on?

Again no.  The above 2 things are commonly requested so they are on LDraw.org's
radar.

Can I be "assigned" a part or do I just find a need and fill it?

No need for assignment.  Simply choose a part and create.

If I have a part, how do I go about submitting it to make it "official"?

Can I help somehow in the process on approving new parts to speed them along
into the official list?

The official mechanism for the above 2 items is LDraw.org's Parts Tracker:
http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/

I suggest authoring/fixing a few parts to get to know the file format standards
and then, when you are comfortable with DAT files, request reviewer access.

How do I report errors or updates to existing official parts?

If you find an error, try to fix it.  Once you've updated the file, email it to
Steve Bliss or Chris Dee (the PT Administrators)

Is there a FAQ or users guide somewhere that covers all this?

Sort of.  This is something I've been working on improving.

Most of the references can be found in 3 spots on LDraw.org:
http://www.ldraw.org/article/292
http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/ref/
http://www.ldraw.org/article/58

Any newsgroups here on Lugnet (or elsewhere) I should subscribe to?

Yes.
Definately to lugnet.cad and lugnet.cad.dev.
You might consider lugnet.cad.dat.parts and lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw

Are you tired of my questions yet?

Absolutely not.  The more the merrier.  I't give me something to do on Easter
since (just about) every place cool is closed.

Thanks for listening this far and your advice is appreciated!

-Orion