 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5442
Re: New Part: 3041p01.dat Brick 45 2 x 4 Double With Headlamp Pattern
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:58:36 GMT

Hi Niels, thanks for the comments.

I don’t know enough about decorated parts to answer, try ask at Orion or Chris via the mail at Ldraw.org

OK, On the Part tracker they surely will suggest something if it isn’t correct.

   2. Since this is the first patterned version of the base part, is it necessary to move the body of the part to subfile? (In the case of the similar 3040.dat it is done so). If the anwser is yes I will do it.

That’s a really good idea, that way other can use it for patterns in the future (That should solve the author credit question as well).

When you do so, I think it’s a good idea to put the removed lines in a commented section like in this part: http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?s=6153s01. And you can just as well remove both sides of the slope at once, to prepare for parts with decorations on both sides.

Good idea I will follow that.

   As for the decoration itself, I can’t really make sense of the white (and blue) “something”, are you sure it’s correctly representated? What colour is the part supposed to be?
Yes, I believe the pattern is correct. The part appears only in the Technic Supercar set 8880, and serves as its headlamp. And of course it is black.

On Peeron: http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3041px1

On Brickshelf: http://library.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=305

When you split the file up, please use a vertical version of the pattern (that you tilt when inserting into the top file): The pattern is a lot easier to alter when vertical (it seems like it has been made automatically via some converter, which isn’t generally liked among reviewers, since it creates an excess of lines, and a manual simplification overhaul would be apropiate as soon as possible)

OK, the argument is clear, but the vertical or horizontal placement of the pattern would require to place the pattern in a separate subfile. Since this pattern appears nowhere else, it isn’t worth to create a separate subfile for it. I’d rather subfile only the main body of the part.

Thank you Ampi