 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5368
Re: Brick 1x1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:25:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Gunnar  Lindholm wrote:
Hello.
I'm trying to understand how the 1x1 brick (3005.dat) is drawn.
It contains 1 stud.dat two box5.dat (I have not really found out what that
is yet), and it contains 4 Quadrilateral commands.
The thing right now is how the quadrilateral things are drawn.

The box5.dat files are something we call primitives. A primitive is a assembly
of more basic forms, for instance planes and lines, and a dat file in itself.
They have been made avaibable to prevent you have to define certain very common
and frequently occuring shapes over and over again. You can find primitives in
the 'Ldraw\P'-folder/directory and you can open their files to see from what
components these are made (but take care not to change them). The box5.dat
primitive is a cube with 5 faces present (5 Quadrilateral commands), ergo one
face missing, and all 12 ribs of the cube drawn (12 Line commands).

In the the 1x1 brick, the two box5.dat primitives form the interior and exterior
surface of the 4 side faces and the top lid of the basic brick shape. between
the inside and outside primitive on allong the bottom rims of the side faces,
ther is a narrow gap that needs to be filled. These are the four Quadrilateral
commands you see in the main 3005.dat file. These need to be separate because
their definition changes with each individual brick shape. To top things of we
have stud.dat, also a primitive. It defines a cilinder with a lid on one end,
two circular edge lines, and conditional lines that are only visable when you
see them from a certain angle. As the name says we most use it to define the
studs on top of the bricks.

For more information about the primitives, incuding their visual
reprensentations: http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/ref/primref/

For more information about the Ldraw format, part-authoring and the Parts
Tracker (parts submission process):
http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/
http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/ref/

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.

Parts of this text may freely be used elswere.