 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5095
Re: New version of part 32064
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:14:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Arne Lykke Nielsen wrote:
I just bought set 7045, World City Dock 13. I noticed that the part 32064
"Technic Brick 1x2 with Axlehole" was in a new version, with the axlehole itself
completely redesigned. Does anybody know if this new version has been used in
other sets before? And no, I haven't been able to decipher the partsref; it
might be something like 32031??

Arne, Copenhagen

My copies of Motor Movers (#4094) had BOTH variations of the Technic Brick 1x2
with Axlehole.  Half of the bricks had the symmetric cross, as earlier versions
had.  The other half had the newer version, similar to the current Technic 1/2
bushings (part # 4265B).  I haven't looked at the part numbers yet, so I don't
know if it's an updating of the mold or a brand new mold.

Now when I see two variations of the same piece in the same box, I'm inclined to
believe that it's a quality control issue.  However, when it occured in a second
copy I bought a few days later (they were on clearance, and motors on clearance
can't be passed up), it had the same ratio of new and old axlehole bricks.  So I
know that it's a systematic updating of the piece, and the Motor Movers were
packaged during the switch in molds.  However, a parent or child is not likely
to know this when opening a single copy of the set and finds the two slightly
different pieces.  Worse, the instructions only use the old version; some
literalist is going to wonder where to use the new version.

It would have been nice to see an inclosed note with the set explaining that the
two pieces function exactly the same, and MAYBE explaining why the shape was
changed slightly (I've found that the newer version slides on/off axles with
less force than the old version, which is an improvement, IMO).

I hate to be cynical (I haven't posted a single post about the new grey, mostly
because I've only seen it first-hand once), but this seems to be another
situation where a little communication from TLC would have gone a long way in
improving customer satisfaction.  It would even prove that TLC is committed to
improving the quality of their parts, which is TLC's largest advantage over
their competitors.  All I ask is just a little note within the box, explaining
that this is not an error, and why it was done.

So, to TLC, please just communicate with the consumer.  If you're making
improvements, tell us so that we don't think it's just a quality control issue.
A little communication will go a long way with your fans and customers.
Including this one.

John Riley