 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 372
Re: My first own part
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:33:11 GMT

Great job!  I can't comment on the choice of colors, but your part
construction is good, and you even used the torso subpart.  Welcome aboard.

To submit your part for voting, reference the following text of Authors.txt (I
forget where it's located, and I don't think it's been posted to LUGNET yet):

Authors.txt                                      Last Revision:  9 Jun
98Welcome, new LDraw parts author. :-)Some useful info, if you don't already
know it:              Send new pieces, that you think are *finished* and of
*good* quality, andready to vote on for inclusion in an update,
to:jjmemorial@hotmail.com That way I know it is a finished piece.  I tend to
ignore parts that are posted to the L-Cad list(which goes to my Legoverse
mailbox), as often these parts are posted for opinions. If you have several
pieces to send, a zip archive is fine.***We depend on each part author to
maintain quality***Once a part you have made is approved and added to an
update, you can always add improvements or fixes to it as necessary. Then that
piece would be added to the next update as a "fix" with no voting necessary.
Simply send the new file to me with a note  saying it is a fix of a piece you
had already made. Special note: If you notice an error in another authors
piece, notify the author to make the correction.  If it is an original James
Jessiman piece, notify the L-Cad group so as a proper course of action can be
decided on.Send all files (new or fixed) by the 15th of each month.That is the
"deadline" for part submissions.  Around the 20th (or so),I will post to L-Cad
the page address for voting on new parts.--------------Try, as much as is
humanely possible, to keep pieces all in one file. We are trying to keep
subfiles to a minimum.We are fast approaching 1000 files in the /parts
directory, and need to keep unnecessary files out. (actually were way past
that now, butwe still need to keep extra files out)If you have Win95 you can
use the Inliner function in Steve Bliss's LDrawAddon programto combine
multiple small files together before publication.Investigate and learn what
the part 'primitive' files do in the ldraw\pdirectory. Do not add NEW
primitive files on your own. If you have an ideafor a new primitive, bring it
up on L-Cad.  There is a group of parts authors that discuss, standardize, and
approve new primitives.I will not add any new primitive to an update without
approvalof the primitives group.Format the pieces header for proper
credit.Here is the standard format:0 Brick  1 x  2 with Red Cross0 Name:
xxxx.dat0 Author: Your Name Here0 Un-Official Element   'space'1 start piece
hereNotice the double space between 'Brick' and '1'. And between 'x' and
'2'.This adds an imaginary 0 placeholder so the part sorts correctly.Note that
if the size is 10 or over, no extra space is needed.Capitalize the first
letter of each word, except 'with' (if used)The rest of the header should be
exactly as shown, with the appropriatecorrect info inserted. If you wish, you
can include an email address onthe same line as your name.We are also trying
to ensure correct numbers and names for new pieces. If you need a number or
name there a few resources to check.James Jessimans parts list:  !!!(NO LONGER
UPDATED-MAY BE
INCORRECT)!!!http://silo.riv.csu.edu.au/~jjessiman/lego/index.htmlLutz
Uhlmanns parts list:  (Best
Choice)http://titan.informatik.uni-bonn.de/~uhlmann/files.htmlAnd finally, if
neither of those help any, you can send a .gif image to Martyn Boogaarts
at:mjr.boogaarts@INDAUT.FNT.HVU.NLMartyn used to help James Jessiman with part
numbers, and he has offered to help us as well. And if absolutely no actual
numbers can be found, use a 3 digit number that has *NOT* been used.  Must be
3 digits only.I have a complete list of UNUSED 3 digit numbers, contact me if
you needsome. Or you may request a small "reserved range" of numbers, if
needed.Note that all parts with 3 digit numbers will be considered
'temporary'numbers pending a number investigation. They can still be voted on
andapproved, but I may hold the parts until I am satisfied that we cannot find
the correct number.In fact, during voting, all 3-digit numbers will have an
"x" prefixed onthem. As in "x123.dat". This is to clearly show that the number
is not yetconsidered to be 'final'.The supply of 3-digit numbers is limited. I
do not want to release'official' parts with 3-digit numbers unless absolutely
necessary.Once used, even temporarily, that number is effectively wasted.Note
that pieces you get "correct" four-digit numbers for (that are notphysically
stamped on the piece) may even be corrected if found wrong.And that part
descriptions are always subject to change. By myself, orthe rest of
L-Cad. -------------Before you start making a part, check with the Parts
Tracker page at:http://www3.hmc.edu/~zbenz/parttracker/partlist.shtmlThat way
you can see what others are working on, let them know what you plan on doing,
and generally help avoid duplicate efforts.Its a good thing.  USE
IT.--------------And finally there is the general LDraw resource page,the
James Jessiman Memorial.  I have tried to gather together a lot of useful info
here:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/2244/index.htmlAnd each months
parts update is posted there as well.I would appreciate any suggestions for
the memorial pages as well.--------------Thanks,-- Terry
Keller --jjmemorial@hotmail.com  (piece submissions and related
questions)legoverse@hotmail.com  (general mail)

Joachim Probst <jprobst@shadow-corner.ows.es> wrote in message
Hi !

for a longer time I am reading this newsgroup, and working with LDraw.
Now I made my first own part. It is the Minifig torso with the castle
pattern with blue border and the crossed pikes. I'm not sure about the
colors of the pikes/background. I used gold and brown, but if anyone
knows s.th. more accurate, please tell me. Although I need to know,
what to name the pattern, because I think it's the first part with that
pattern.

An Knight with this torso can be looked at, at my homepage at
http://shadow-corner.ows.es/ldraw/ and  this text should be followed
with the corresponding dat-file.

I would like to hear from you about this part/pattern and see it in the
next update-voting.

Ciao,
Joachim