 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 3393
Re: Stud Primitive Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 00:04:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Orion Pobursky writes:
Does anyone know why studs are 8 sided cylindars but every other cylindar
based object in LDraw is 16 sided?.  Has this issue ever been addressed?

Studs aren't 8-sided cylinders; they are 16-sided cylinders just like the
other cylinders.  The low-resolution stud files are 8-sided cylinders.
These files have the same filenames as the regular studs, but with a '2'
instead of a 'd' (i.e. stu2.dat is the low-resolution version of stud.dat).
Many renderers allow you to display these low-resolution studs intead of the
standard ones, but they should have an option to use the standard (16-sided)
ones.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)