 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 3054
Re: Layers in patterns allowed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 19:57:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Carsten Schmitz writes:
Hello!

I am jsut wondering if layers are allowed in creating patterns. For example
the ufo patterns.
You have there circles on ellipses on rings and so on and it would be very
hard to fill the spaces with triangles.
after doing the complicated things. It would be a lot easier if I could use
layers with 0.1 LDU distance.
I see that ML-Cad has problems to show the patterns correctly when the
layers have that small distance.
Render programs don't.

Anyone can give me advise on this?

Carsten
Using this layering technique for patterns is generally discouraged as many DAT
rendering programs (including the original LDraw) are unable to correctly
display close parallel surfaces. For this reason we have avoided creating
patterned parts like this. If you'll excuse the pun, its also been one of the
sticking points with stickers.

But yes, it does make it tough !

Chris