 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 2418
Re: How exactly does one "Inline" a part?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 14:37:39 GMT

"Mark Kennedy" <kennedy@proaxis.com> writes:

How exactly does one "inline" a part? So far I have been splitting
my larger symetrical parts into seperate files. I imagine people
would be a lot happier if I could stick them into just one file.

Looking into the parts library, you will find some parts which consist
of sub parts.  As an example, consider the angle connectors, 32013,
32034, 32016, et al.  These parts consist of sub parts in the s\ sub
directory composed to make the correct angles.  These parts might as
well have been inlined, but not doing so saves some space, and it also
makes it easier to understand the way they are composed.

If your parts consist of natural sub parts in a similar way, you may
consider publishing them without inlining them.  The LDraw library
will benefit from this as the size will be smaller, and the parts will
be more pedagogically presented.  You can still post the part as MPD
on lugnet.cad.dat.parts, and people will be able to view them just as
easily as if they had been inlined.

If you still want to inline parts, you can use Steve Bliss' LDAO which
comes with an inliner (I've never used it myself, as the versions I
have tried have failed to work on my system).  You can also use
LDraw-mode, which is an add-on major mode for the editor Emacs.  The
major mode adds inline functionality on the C-c C-i keystroke:

    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/ldraw-mode/

Fredrik