 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 233
Re: My first part
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:38:28 GMT

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:55:25 GMT, Patrick Sayre-Little
<wsayreli@polymail.calpoly.edu> wrote:

Steve Bliss wrote:

BTW, this is a good first part.  The following comments are more at length
than I normally make about new parts, because I usually don't make the time
to look at each part in this depth.  So don't take them too personally,
please. You did ask for feedback. :)

Yes I did. Your comments are very helpful.  I'll get started on them right away.

Overall, the only major problem is that you need to clip the background out
from the foreground, and put all the elements of the surface at Y=0.

I tried that at first, but I kept getting some wierd overlap effects: some of
the pattern would show, other parts wouldn't.  I figured putting them at
different levels would ensure everything was visible.  I'll try again though;
maybe I was doing something else wrong at that point.

The problem is, you can't simply specify the background as a complete disk.
You actually need to lay out the quads and triangles and primitives to
build the background to fit around the foreground elements.

In most 3D graphics systems (LDraw and LDLite included), when two objects
have a coincident surface, what is actually may be one, the other, or parts
of both.  And it's usually parts of both.

Thanks again for the feedback.  You've encouraged me to keep going.  By the way,
does anyone know what the official number is for it?

Not me.  If your part is released the way that was discussed awhile ago, it
will have a 4150p??.dat file, and possibly a shortcut file with the "real"
part number, and the part-color set to yellow.

Steve