 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 1842
Re: Brick 1 x 4 with Yellow Left Arrow and Black Border Pattern
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 19:24:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Tony Hafner writes:
This is my first time submitting anything here (just downloaded LDraw and
MLCAD last week), and I have a few questions.

First, how would I know if someone else had done this part already?  The
official library came with a 1x2 brick with this pattern, but I was
surprised not to find a 1x4.  Is there a more current list?  How about a
list of candidates for the library?

There is an unofficial Parts Tracker at
http://home.swipnet.se/~w-20413/ttracker/ttracker.htm where requests and
progress are tracked, if authors pass this information to Tore (who is very
good at updating the page with such info). Having posted this part to this
newsgroup, it would be a good idea to send a tracker submission (see the foot
of the TTracker page) to Tore to prevent anyone else starting work on it.

If an author has not bothered to submit an update to the TTracker, then the
only way is an awareness of recent postings to this newsgroup.

Second, I created this part by modifying an existing one.  Is this an
acceptable way to create parts?  Note that the header does credit the
original part and author.

There is no problem at all with this method.

Third, I don't know much about naming and commenting conventions.  Is there
any system to the "P" designation for printed parts?  Or should I just look
for any unused number?  And as for the header info, does the header in this
file look right?

The Pxx numbers are to some extent arbitrary, with the exception that we _try_
to keep the same number for equivalent (or related) patterns across parts (eg
p68 for the M:Tron series, p90 for Classic Space logos). In this case, I think
P42 should be OK.

The first four lines of the header should look like :

0 <Part Name>
0 Name: <part number>.DAT
0 Author: <Author name> (<Optional author email>)
0 Unofficial Element

The <Part Name> should match existing similar parts to ease categorisation.

Any other comments, reference to the source part can follow in subsequent type
0 lines.

Thanks!

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com

The part looks good to me, except for the detail in the header. Unless you get
major adverse comment, the way to get this into the voting for the official
updates is to mail it to partsref@home.com .

Regards, Chris