 CAD / LDraw Files / Models / 1997
1996  |  1998
Subject:
Announcing BIP Model Inventories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.inst, lugnet.announce.biportal, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:19:50 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

For the last few weeks I have been spending my time working with Richard at BrikTrak.com and Dan at Bricklink.com to help develop an exciting new addition to our sites.

Today we would like to announce the availability of BI Portal Model Inventories for beta testing. This new functionality links the Building Instructions Portal directly to Bricklink.com. From now on, when you add links to your models, MOC’s and building techniques on the Building Instructions Portal, you are now able to quickly and easily upload your LDraw format model.

Doing this allows anyone who looks at your model on the BIP to see an inventory breakdown of the parts required to build your model and even click a link to be taken directly to stores on Bricklink.com that have the items required for sale! Or to see it already in action, check out this Building Instruction.

To test this yourself, simply log in to the Building Instructions Portal at http://www.bricksonthebrain.com and add a new link. You will see a checkbox at the bottom of the screen and if you check this, then you will be taken to the model upload wizard. That’s all it takes to allow others to quickly view or purchase the parts required to build your model! You don’t necessarily have to use the actual instructions file for your model. You can simply create a LDraw format model that includes, in no particular order or design, all the parts needed to create your model.

This new functionality allows you to upload all the main LDraw format model files including .dat, .mpd and .ldr. It even handles Multiple assembly .mpd’s properly and counts all the parts in the model accurately (something that even BrikTrak currently doesn’t do - but Richard is working on) Now, this is a beta test and certain features may not quite work exactly as expected, but the main functionality is there.

This application integrates the BIPortal, BrikTrak webservices and Bricklink together and is just the first phase of what is to come. There will be further additions over time and we are working very hard to bring powerful resources to the Lego fan community.

There is a forum setup at BrikTrak.com for any comments, bug reports, suggestions or general chat about this application. Please feel free to tell us what you think! You can find it here Please see the Known Issues thread for various fixes we still need to make in this release.

Please let us know what you think! We would really like to know what you think, and how you would like to see the flow/functionality/features improved.

(And by the way, Richard sends word that he is working on the next release of BrikTrak - in fact the next release will use the exact same engine to split LDraw models that the BI Portal Model Inventories Application uses!)

Thanks!
Jake
---
Jake McKee