 CAD / LDraw Files / Models / 1945
Re: Color problem- is this a bug in L3P?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 03:38:27 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.models, Tony Hafner writes:
The attached .mpd file is showing a weird problem with colors when run
through L3P and rendered in POV-Ray.

There is a subfile that contains a single part.  In there, the part's color
is set to trans-red (Color36).  The parent file sets it to black (Color0).
That gets ignored in ldraw because the bottom-level part is trans-red, not
main-color.  So it correctly renders as trans red.

L3P has a bug with part colors when there is a single part in a sub-file.
In this case, you need to ask yourself why you have this case.  It seems
overkill to have side.ldr with just one part in it.  None the less, it is a
bug in L3P.

But after running it through L3P and POV-Ray, the part in the subfile (the
finned 1x1 round brick) renders as black.

Poking through the POV-Ray code and experimenting with variations on this
led me to the keyword used to declare the parts/models ("object" or
"union").  When a file (part or model) contains only one reference to
another file (again, part or model), L3P writes:

#declare [translated_filename] {object
[reference to another file]
}

But when there are multiple references, it writes:

#declare [translated_filename] {union
[reference to another file]
[reference to another file]
}

At first glance, this makes sense.  You have to use a union to contain
multiple POV-Ray objects, and POV-Ray gives a warning when you use a union
containing only one object.  On the flip side, an object can only have one
other object reference.  However, the downside is that color inheritence
works differently with a union than it does with an object.  An object
inherits color from the containing object, while a union gets its color from
the colors of the contained objects.

This particular example may seem like a narrow test case that can easily be
worked around by coloring the subfile differently.  That's true, but this
first came to my attention when Jake McKee contacted me about a problem with
rendering parts in LPub- they were inheriting yet another level, and were
actually ending up showing as light-grey because that's the default color
for maincolored parts.  In LPub, you don't have fine control over everything
and in his case I don't know if there is a viable workaround.

LPub only messes with colors due to previous part color scaling (gryaing
parts from previous steps).  If you turn that off, you get whatever color
behavior you get from L3P.  I have no idea what color behavior you think is
being "inherited."

What "fine control" do you not have in LPub?  LPub honors the colors in the
part usage (type 1 records), except for in the case of previous step part
color scaling.

So my question is... is this behavior a bug?  Have others seen this as well?
Should L3P be writing out a union when writing models, regardless of the
number of references inside it?  Is it a problem that POV-Ray throws a
warning?  Does that behavior break down because of some other reason?

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com

0 FILE Untitled.ldr
0 Untitled
0 Name: Untitled.ldr
0 Author: Tony Hafner <www.hafhead.com>
0 Unofficial Model
0 ROTATION CENTER 0 0 0 1 "Custom"
0 ROTATION CONFIG 0 0
1 19 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 4733.DAT
1 19 0 24 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3005.DAT
1 19 0 -24 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3005.DAT
1 0 -10 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 side.ldr
1 0 10 0 0 -1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 -1 side.ldr
0
0 FILE side.ldr
0 side
0 Name: side.ldr
0 Author: Tony Hafner <www.hafhead.com>
0 Unofficial Model
0 ROTATION CENTER 0 0 0 1 "Custom"
0 ROTATION CONFIG 0 0
1 36 -24 10 0 0 1 0 -1 0 0 0 0 1 4588.DAT
0
0