 CAD / LDraw Files / Models / 1743
1742  |  1744
Subject:
Cathedral of Ice .Dat file now available on Brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.models
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 03:14:30 GMT

Last year, around this time, I introduced my "Cathedral of Ice" MOC.  This
model proved to be quite popular and I still get requests for the .dat files
to make this model.

To make this process easier, I've now posted the .dat files on brickshelf at
this address:

The original pictures are here:

With the latest www.ldraw.org parts update, you should be able to render
this complex model without any problems.  However, be aware that slower
machines could have a hard time.  On my 450Mhz, it takes about 30 seconds to
load the model in MLCAD, and about 2 hours to generate a high-quality,
high-resolution shot in POV-RAY.

Note:  Over the past year, I've quietly been trying to aquire the rare parts
to build this model in the ABS.  Most of the parts are currently used in
BrickTopia, but because I'm running out of space, I'll have to kill
Bricktopia in the next few months and the "real" Cathedral of Ice is one of
my next projects.

Tidbits on parts for this model;

- I actually have enough 6x6x9 trans-gray "Paradisa" curved clear panels to
build this model.  This rare part was hard to obtain, but I managed to get
enough through various deals on Brickbay and other venues.

- I don't have anywhere near enough of the 4x4x2 curved railings used on the
choir area.  I'll have to design some other combination of elements for this
area.  That's too bad since this was one of the coolest features of the
building.

- I have only managed to get 2 of the 6x6x9 trans-gray straight panels from
the Breezeway Cafe set.  These are exceedingly rare and the cathedral needs
about 20 of them.  Luckily, they can be simulated by combining the common
1x4x3 panel with a semi-rare 3x3x6 curved panel.  I have plenty of these
parts and believe I have sufficient quantities to do the top portion of the
nave.

- I think I have enough of the 1x6x3 1/3 smooth half-arches (white) to do
the buttresses.  Unfortunately, the inverse half arches are not produced in
white.  I intend to get enough slopses to simulate the inverse half arches
via Brickbay.

- I don't have nearly enough 1x1x1 round's to do the interior as rendered.
I could probably get these on Brickbay, but I don't think I have enough cash
(given that I must fund my LEGO and other hobbies on a fairly limited budget
each month).  I'll probably have to scale back the interior a bit.

Anyhow, I'm hoping to build this for "real" somewhere aroudn March.

Enjoy